Posted : April 18, 2018
Our blog is chock full of great ideas for fun things to see and do in York Durham and Headwaters. We are always adding new content and updating old posts, but sometimes you might stumble upon something from our vault. If this article has inspired you to hit the road, be sure to double-check that the featured stops in this post are still welcoming visitors.
At York Durham Headwaters, we’re proud of our local wineries, cideries and distilleries who produce award-winning boozy treats for our visitors. Want a taste? Read on for three fresh spring cocktail recipes featuring local spirits and craft brews!
Hot new local cocktail
If you like the Negroni, you’re going to love The Vaughan cocktail! Handcrafted by Last Straw Distillery, The Vaughan is the perfect vehicle for the distillery’s own Darker Side of the Moonshine. Also, it contains maple syrup, which lends a uniquely Canadian flavour to this sophisticated aperitif.
Recipe by Last Straw Distillery
- Chill a cocktail glass in the freezer
- Pour the following ingredients into a tumbler:
- 2 oz. Darker Side of the Moonshine
- ¼ oz. Fernet-Branca
- ½ oz. dark maple syrup
- 2 dashes bitters
- Add 5 or 6 ice cubes and stir for 40 seconds.
- Strain into the chill cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a twist of citrus.
Ever thought sangria was missing something? Like maybe a splash of beer? We thought so too! This recipe combines a zippy blend of lemon with the Second Wedge Brewing Company’s pale ale for a surprising twist on a classic cocktail.
Citrus Sangria with Beer
Recipe inspired by selfproclaimedfoodie.com
- Wash and thinly slice a whole lemon, lime, grapefruit and orange
- Add the following ingredients to your favourite pitcher:
- Citrus fruit
- 1 ½ cups of pineapple juice
- 1 cup vodka
- Chill overnight
- Before serving, add 36 oz Day Tripper Trail Ale to the pitcher
- Savour served over ice
Berry fresh mule
The Moscow Mule had a moment in 2017 – and the fun continues with unique twists on the ginger beer-based bevvie. With our farmer’s markets ramping up for the season, are proud to present our berry sweet take that’s spiked with vodka.
YDH Fresh Berry Mule
Recipe inspired by kimbroughdaniels.com
- Chill a copper mule mug
- Add ½ cup of fresh berries to the mug, and muddle
- Add the following ingredients to the mug:
- 2 oz. School Spirit vodka
- 1 oz. lime juice
- 4 oz. ginger beer
- Add ice, stir, sip, sigh.
Craft brew fans take note! The Second Wedge Brewing Company just released a brand-new beer. Fat Bike is a double IPA (8.5% abv) made from hops grown in Uxbridge. Super local and huge on flavour, this fresh new flavour is the talk of the town.
For more good news
To stay on top of our burgeoning wine, craft beer and spirits scene, sign up for our newsletter today!