ALMOND PLUM SPICE CAKE
Goose and Gander Kitchen, Caledon
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cubed
You’ll have extra streusel, so either load the cake up, or freeze it in a zippy bag for tomorrow’s porridge or something
FOR THE CAKE
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sour cream OR plain yogurt
- 8 Italian plums halved and pits removed
- 1/4 cup sliced, slivered or crushed almonds
- powdered sugar for dusting, because #instagram
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the streusel topping by pulsing the ingredients in the food processor (or using a pastry cutter) until mixed.
- Grease or spray an 8-inch round spring form pan, line with parchment paper then grease the parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, beat the softened butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time just until combined.
- Stir in both the vanilla and almond extracts.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, followed by half the sour cream or yogurt. Alternate flour/dairy until the batter is smooth. Have your mixer on low speed to avoid covering yourself and your kitchen in flour!
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with the back of a wet metal spoon (this keeps the spoon from sticking).
- Slice the plum halves length-wise (cut-side down) into 1/4-inch slices and while keeping the slices together place them in clusters over the cake batter – use a butter knife or offset spatula to help you lift the plums onto the cake while keeping their slices together.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping between and around the sliced plums and top with the sliced almonds (you want to be able to see the beautiful plums amidst the streusel).
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 20 minutes before releasing it from the pan.
- Once completely cooled dust the cake with powdered sugar, slice and enjoy with vanilla bean ice cream!
Foodie Feast Road Trip
This season, fill your holiday table with dishes from around the world
Our small historical towns are brimming with local produce, flour, meat, craft beer, wine and cider, that will check-off every ingredient needed to create an international feast.