Recipe by Goose and Gander Kitchen, Caledon
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cubed
You’ll have extra streusel, so either load the cake up, or freeze it in a zippy bag for tomorrow’s porridge or something
FOR THE CAKE
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sour cream OR plain yogurt
- 8 Italian plums halved and pits removed
- 1/4 cup sliced, slivered or crushed almonds
- powdered sugar for dusting, because #instagram
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the streusel topping by pulsing the ingredients in the food processor (or using a pastry cutter) until mixed.
- Grease or spray an 8-inch round spring form pan, line with parchment paper then grease the parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, beat the softened butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time just until combined.
- Stir in both the vanilla and almond extracts.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, followed by half the sour cream or yogurt. Alternate flour/dairy until the batter is smooth. Have your mixer on low speed to avoid covering yourself and your kitchen in flour!
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with the back of a wet metal spoon (this keeps the spoon from sticking).
- Slice the plum halves length-wise (cut-side down) into 1/4-inch slices and while keeping the slices together place them in clusters over the cake batter – use a butter knife or offset spatula to help you lift the plums onto the cake while keeping their slices together.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping between and around the sliced plums and top with the sliced almonds (you want to be able to see the beautiful plums amidst the streusel).
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 20 minutes before releasing it from the pan.
- Once completely cooled dust the cake with powdered sugar, slice and enjoy with vanilla bean ice cream!