- 556 g all-purpose flour
- 16 g baking powder
- 5 g baking soda
- 9 g salt
- ¾ cups (very cold) butter
- 438 ml milk
- 0.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 250 g cheese
(Yields 12 Biscuits)
1. Measure flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into large mixing bowl.
2. Cut cold butter into cubes.
3. Add butter into flour mixture, using a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into smaller cubes (size of peas).
4. Mixture should look like wet sand. Add cheese to flour mixture.
5. In large liquid measuring cup add milk, lemon juice and butter. Stir with a whisk until mixed.
6. Make a well in flour and butter mixture, slowly add milk and egg mixture.
7. Mix slightly with hands or spatula, until there are no wet or dry spots, but do not over-mix. Mixture should have a shredded slightly packed look to it.
8. Onto a floured surface, shape into a large disc. Using a round cookie cutter cut tea biscuits. Do not over roll.
9. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with egg wash and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Turn and bake another 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Tip: The key to a great biscuit is keeping everything really cold and to measure all ingredients by weight. So if things start to warm up, put the mixture back in the fridge to cool down.
All of our Chefs and cooks are passionate about using hyper-local ingredients. If you can’t find an ingredient close to home, we have suggested some great alternatives. Visit the YDH Virtual Market to find everything you need to make the Ultimate Holiday Feast!