Take to opportunity this summer to support local, and support farmers! This region has so many wonderful places to buy fresh food. It is so satisfying to buy from local farm shops and farmer’s markets and create a healthy meal for our families and friends. If we can adopt the concept of shopping locally as a lifestyle, we will travel less, buy fresh quality in-season produce, and support the growers. Food less traveled is the best! Have you ever tasted a “just picked” strawberry, or any produce for that matter? There is nothing so fresh, nutritious and delicious. We encourage you to give this some serious consideration this summer and fall. Let’s support our farmers. If you ate today, thank a farmer.
Let’s take a look at more of the benefits of shopping locally. It gives us opportunities to build relationships with local small business people, and get to know the farm families. You will probably spend less money as you will shop for what you need and are less apt to make spontaneous and unwanted purchases. It is much better for the environment overall, as driving less reduces everyone’s carbon footprint. Shopping locally and spending money in your own community is part of the community building process. That money stays in the area and supports other families and creates demand for local jobs, perhaps even a job for one of your own family members down the road.
There is also that great feeling we get after having a chat with a local shop owner or community member. You know that community friendliness that puts a smile on your face. The people you meet may become familiar over time, and next thing you know they are calling you by name. This also helps our seniors and singles to be less lonely. This is good for everybody’s mind and mood and pocketbook. Small businesses often focus on quality not quantity which we will all benefit from.
We have listed some of the farm shops and markets to visit in the YDH region.
- Willow Tree Farm – 975 Durham Regional Rd 21, Port Perry
- Brooks Farm – 122 Ashworth Road, Mount Albert
- Hy-Hope Farm – 5450 Lake Ridge Road, Ashburn
- Round The Bend Farm – 16225 Jane St., Kettleby
- Pine Farms Orchard – 2700 16th Sideroad, King City
- Maple Grove Farm & Market – 936215 Airport Rd, Mulmur
- Downey’s Farm and Market – 13682 Heart Lake Rd, Caledon
- The Orangeville Farmer’s Market – 87 Broadway- Town Hall, Orangeville
- Erin Farmer’s Market – Erin Fairgrounds 184 Main St, Erin
- Uxbridge Farmer’s Market – 85 Herrema Blvd, Uxbridge
- Georgina Farmer’s Market – 20849 Dalton Road, Sutton
- 19th Avenue Farmer’s Market- Markham – 2931 19th Avenue, Market
- Clarington Farmer’s Market – 103 Caroline St. West, Newcastle
So we are encouraging you to make a conscious effort to shop locally and support the hard working farming families in our region. The benefits span community wide and are numerous. You can also help grow a local business.
Make your next grocery stop be just around the corner at your local farmer’s market.
Written By: PLK