- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg for an egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the texture resembles coarse meal.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and whisk in the cream until well blended.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture just until the two come together. Do not over mix.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 2cm thickness.
- Cut with a 2-inch round biscuit cutter and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased insulated baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with an egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water).
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 18-20 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
Makes roughly 20 scones.
Cook’s Note: Scones can be prepared and frozen prior to baking, and then baked from frozen on the morning of a program. The egg wash can be substituted with whipping cream if desired.