This simple and indulgent way of preparing sweet local carrots is an instant repeat recipe. Ontario Honey Creations’ cayenne-infused honey adds a nice heat to this sweet and comforting side dish. Preparing carrots on the stovetop allows you to caramelize, steam and coat them all in one dish – they key is to keep a close eye on the pan after adding the honey so that the sugars don’t burn. We suggest sneaking a taster before these disappear at the table.
3 TBSP butter
1.5 lbs heirloom carrots, tops removed from Orangeville Winter Market
2 TBSP water
2 TBSP Ontario Honey Creations Hot Honey
Salt and pepper
- Peel carrots and cut in half lengthwise (if larger, quarter the carrots lengthwise).
- Heat a wide non-stick saucepan on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Once butter has melted, add carrots to pan and toss to coat. Once butter begins to bubble, add water and place a lid on top of the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Remove lid and add Hot Honey, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Swirl or stir pan to mix everything. Continue to cook carrots until fork tender and the butter and honey sauce has thickened to a glaze.
- Remove carrots to a serving dish and pour any remaining pan glaze over them. Garnish with thyme leaves.