It’s a frighteningly fun-packed time of year here in York Durham Headwaters. Kids are gearing up for trick or treating and adults are choosing from a wealth of spooky seasonal activities. Looking for the best ways and places to show off your perfectly-chosen costume? We have plenty of ideas below.
Step 1: Pick the Perfect Costume
Before you choose your outings, it’s time to pick out what you’ll wear. Our tips for costumes:
- Don’t wait until the last minute to purchase a Halloween costume, especially if you’re ordering online. Also, know exactly what costume pieces and accessories you’re getting before buying. There may be a picture of a vampire on the packaging, but that doesn’t mean all the accessories are included.
- Choose face paint over masks whenever possible. Masks can impede your vision and can be a pain to carry around if you get tired of wearing them. YouTube is full of face paint tutorials to get your look just right.
- Plan weather-appropriate variants of your costume. Layers are always a great choice. This allows you to be dressed comfortably even if the temperature changes.
- Switch up your accessories. If you are going to several nights’ worth of Halloween events, you can add a hat one day and a fun cape another to keep your costume fresh and fun.
- Take the costume out of the bag and try it on well before October 31, just in case it doesn’t fit. Treat a Halloween costume like an outfit for a special event, and steam or iron it before wearing it. It will give your look the extra polish it needs to bring home that “best costume” prize!
Still looking for a costume idea?
As an extra special Halloween treat we’ve created a couple DIY costume idea ‘How-To’s’.
Not into cats!? How about Greta Thunberg?!
Step 2: Choose a Halloween Haunt
With your costume ready to go, it’s time to fill your October calendar with fun events for kids of all ages.
Halloween Nights of Lights
An immersive experience like none other, featuring more than more than 1.5 million LED and RGB lights animated and synchronized to your favourite Halloween tunes. Nights of Lights is the must-see drive-through event of the Fall season for all ages. Turn up the volume and roll down the windows because this dazzling light display only happens once a year.
Party at the Pumpkinfest
Downey’s Farm Market is hosting a month long festival to celebrate the season. While the traditional Pumpkinfest will not be held this year, the Farmyard Play Area & Animals will be open daily. Remember to book your tickets online to guarantee entry as capacity is very limited.
While things will look different in 2021, you can expect the same fall fun and memory making moments.
Check out the Downey’s Farm Market website for hours or operation and more details.
Halloween at Black Creek Pioneer Village
Add extra chills and thrills to your Halloween experience with Halloween at the Village! With family fun and late night thrills there is something for everyone.
Enjoy a private tour exploring the supernatural side of Toronto’s historic and haunted Pioneer Village in the dark. This tour features some of the oldest buildings in the city, providing the perfect, creepy backdrop for a night of spine-tingling ghost stories.
Tours available on select nights.
Escape to Black Creek Pioneer Village this October for a creepy Halloween family experience. Choose from two spooky experiences: Halloween Fun or Halloween Hauntings. Wear your Halloween costume and get into the spirit of the season!
Pre-registration required. Visit the Black Creek Pioneer Village website for hours and more.
Haunted Ghost Drive-Thru Tour Hosted by Pickering Museum Village
Take a guided tour of the historic village at night every Thursday, Friday and Saturday in October, and hear stories from the past that still haunt us today. Learn about paranormal investigations that have found evidence of spirits and ghosts, and hear stories of past. You will be supplied with a sanitized audio guide.
Recommend Ages: 12+ Book your walking tour, here https://www.pickering.ca/en/discovering/pmv-whats-on.aspx
Pingle’s Harvest Festival
Spend the day navigating through an Alice in Wonderland Corn Maze, have some farm-tastic fun in their Playland, take in the farm views & fresh country air on a wagon ride, pick-your-own delicious apples in the apple orchard and top off your day with some yummy savoury & sweet food & drinks!
Friday to Sunday. Online tickets prepurchased (recommended) here https://pinglesfarmmarket.com/pingles-harvest-festival-2/
Keep in mind that due to COVID-19 precautions, some of the activities may not be fully available, as well, you may need to purchase tickets online – make sure you check the locations website for more information to ensure a safe visit for all.