York Durham Headwaters is a beautiful region offering a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy during the winter months. Here are some of the top things to do in York Durham Headwaters in winter
Take a winter hike: The region is home to a number of beautiful trails that are perfect for winter hiking, including the Trans Canada Trail and the Oak Ridges Trail. These trails offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside and are a great way to enjoy the outdoors during the colder months. If you are looking for things to do with kids, there’s a round of up of activities here.
Go ice skating: There are several regional outdoor rinks, including the one at the Pickering Recreation Complex, which offers public skating sessions throughout the winter. Ice skating is a fun and festive activity that is perfect for families and couples. The Richmond Green Skate Trail is a unique outdoor skating experience located in Richmond Hill, Ontario. It is a 400-metre long trail that winds through the beautiful Richmond Green Sports Centre & Park. The trail is lit at night and offers a picturesque skating experience surrounded by nature.
Visit a winery: The region is home to a number of wineries that offer tastings and tours, making it a great destination for wine lovers. Some popular wineries in the area include Ocala Winery and Holland Marsh Wineries
Get cozy by the fireplace: The region is home to several cozy inns and bed and breakfasts that offer fireplace rooms, making it the perfect place to relax and unwind after a day of outdoor activities. Some popular options include the Nestleton Waters Inn, The Briars Resort and Millcroft Inn & Spa.If you are looking for some warm up spots long the way, this itinerary gives some ideas of places to explore the yummy cafes and eateries in the region
Go Tubing at the ROC:
ROC (Ridge Outdoor Centre) Snow tubing in Georgina, Ontario is a fun and exciting way to experience the snow. ROC Snow Tubing features a variety of snow tubing lanes that range in difficulty, making it suitable for all ages and skill levels. The snow tubing lanes are designed with banked turns and rollers to provide a fun and exciting ride.
ROC Snow tubing also offers a magic carpet lift, that transports snow tubers back to the top of the hill, allowing for more runs and less time walking uphill. There is a chalet with a fireplace, a snack bar and washrooms.
ROC Snow tubing is a great winter activity for families, friends and groups. You can even book a birthday party. The centre is open on weekends and holidays, with the tubing session lasting 1.5 hours. It is recommended to book in advance as the tickets can sell out quickly.
Get off the beaten path with this unique activity and experience Forget-Me-Not Alpacas is a farm located in Georgina, Ontario that specializes in raising and breeding alpacas. Alpacas are a species of South American camelid that are known for their soft, hypoallergenic wool and docile personalities. Forget-Me-Not Alpacas offers a variety of experiences for visitors to the farm, including tours of the alpaca barns, where visitors can learn about the history and care of alpacas. Visitors can also interact with the alpacas and even feed them. The farm also has a store on-site where visitors can purchase alpaca-related products such as wool clothing, yarn, and other crafts made from alpaca wool.
Explore small towns and villages: The region is home to some charming small towns and villages that offer a variety of activities and attractions, including antique shops, art galleries, and local festivals. Some popular options include the town of Uxbridge and the village of Stouffville.
Go skiing or snowboarding; whether you are a beginner or advanced, some local hills are great for the whole family.
Where to Downhill Ski or Snowboard
- Lakeridge Ski Resort: Located in Uxbridge, Lakeridge Ski Resort offers downhill skiing and snowboarding on 17 ski runs. The terrain ranges from beginner to advanced, making it suitable for all skill levels.
- Ski Dagmar: located in the Durham region, Ski Dagmar is a great option for families and kids, with excellent ski-schools and terrain parks. With 22 ski runs, it’s a smaller ski hill but offers great options for different levels of skiers.
- Brimacombe Ski Resort, located in Orono, Ontario, is a family-friendly destination offering a variety of slopes for skiers and snowboarders of all levels. The resort boasts 22 runs, including a terrain park, and a vertical drop of 220 feet. Brimacombe also offers a range of services, including ski and snowboard rentals and lessons.
- Hockley Valley Ski Resort, located in Mono, Ontario, offers a wide range of skiing and snowboarding options for all skill levels. The resort features 16 runs, and a vertical drop of 315 feet. Hockley Valley also offers a range of services, including ski and snowboard rentals and lessons.
Where to Cross-Country Ski
- Lakeridge Ski Resort: Located in Uxbridge, Lakeridge Ski Resort offers cross-country skiing on 20 km of groomed trails. The terrain is suitable for all skill levels.
- Terra Cotta Conservation Area: This conservation area, located in Caledon, offers over 15 km of groomed trails for cross-country skiing. The terrain is suitable for all skill levels.
- Albion Hills Conservation Area: Located in Caledon, the Albion Hills Conservation Area features over 35 km of groomed trails for cross-country skiing. The terrain ranges from beginner to advanced, making it suitable for all skill levels.
- Mansfield Outdoor Centre: The trails at Mansfield Outdoor Centre offer both machine-groomed skate ski trails and track-set classic ski trails through hundreds of acres of beautiful forest with many picturesque views of the Mulmur Hills.
- York Regional Forest: With 21 public forest tracts and 140 kilometres of trails, cross-country skiers have loads of options at no cost. There are accessible trails in the Hollidge, North and Hall tracts. Note: the trails are not groomed
Overall, York Durham Headwaters is a beautiful and diverse region that offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy during the winter months. From skiing and snowboarding to festive holiday events and cozy fireplace rooms, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this picturesque part of Ontario.