GRANDMA’S BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES
READY IN: 50mins
YIELD: 5-6 500 ml jars
- 15 cups sliced pickling cucumbers
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 4 cups cracked ice
- 2 1⁄2cups cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 large sprig of fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp of pickling spice
- Slice cucumbers in ¼ inch thick slices. They can’t be too thin or they will fall apart. Slice onions thinly.
- Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and ice in a large bowl. The cold ice keeps the slices crunchy. Mix well. Cover in plastic wrap then put a weight on and allow to stand 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly.
TIP: While waiting, sterilize your jars. Boil them in water for 10 min then drain. There are other methods online.
- In a large pot, combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, and mustard seed in a large pot. Add cucumbers and onions.
- Turn on the heat but keep it below a simmer. Do not let it boil. You will see the cucumbers take on an olive green look as the turmeric and spices are absorbed. This takes about 20 -30 minutes. Occasionally stir with spatula. To ensure all cucumbers are being heated. You’ll know they are done when the cucumber slices have taken on a yellow/green look. Turn off heat.
- Place dill sprig and pickling spice in bottom of each jar, spoon in cucumber and top with liquid. Leave ¼ inch for sealing
- Cap and place in water bath for 10 minutes until sealed.
They are ready to eat immediately. We prefer them refrigerated! Yum.